Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe
- 1 – 2 Carrots
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 medium sized white cabbages
1. You will need 2 fresh white cabbages and 2 medium raw carrots per cabbage to make 2-4 large jars of Homemade Sauerkraut. Cabbage Slicer (or similar) – highly recommended. You would also need large bowl and Kilner Jars (or similar). Ideally use a cabbage slicer or similar utensil, because it will make it easier to grind and squeeze the shreds until the juices come out. Grate the carrots using the coarsest side.
2. To make Homemade Sauerkraut you will now need the largest bowl or similar container you have to work the cabbage and carrot. Mix in the proportion of approx. 4:1 (cabbage to carrot).
3. Before grinding and squeezing with your hands, add a few generous pinches of salt (once finished working, taste for salt as well) and work until the texture is soft and juicy enough. This shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Once complete fill your jars bit by bit, pressing it down and leaving perhaps an inch spare at the top.
Leave the jars open for 3 days and make sure you mix it from the bottom to top at least once a day. After 3 days it should be ready to eat, the jar can be closed and stored in the fridge and should easily keep for a week to 15 days.
If you never made Homemade Sauerkraut before, try to do a small jar first.
Are you looking to improve your health? Read the 5R approach to have a systematic approach that works!